I’ve been having a lot of fun sewing Christmas gifts lately. It’s good to tick a few things of my list in the small amount of time I have available to sew at the moment. Today I’ve got another quick & easy tutorial to share with you all! Thanks to my favourite Liberty fabric supplier sending me the most gorgeous fabrics I was able to make six of these Liberty hand towels for some special people in our lives super fast. If you’re after Liberty fabrics you can grab yours from my friends at Ava & Neve.
The supply list for this project is very small. All you need is a Fat Eighth of Tana Lawn (Liberty F8th’s are larger than a standard F8), a store bought hand towel, your sewing machine and a few pins.
- Start by measuring the width of the hand towel. The ones I purchased are just about 16 1/2″ wide.
- Cut 2 – 4 1/2″ strips from the Liberty fabric. They will need to be at least 1 1/2″ longer than the width of the hand towel, I cut 2 strips 4 1/2″ x 18″. Join the strips together using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press the seam open and then press in a 1/4″ hem on each long side of the joined strip.
- Line the seam up on one side of the hand towel and pin in place as shown.
- Next flip the strip over the front of the towel and pin through all three layers at the top and bottom.
- You’re going to end up sewing the front and back of the Liberty strip on in one go so this next bit takes a little bit of patience. Start of the back of the hand towel. Pop a pin 1/8″ from the hemmed edge straight through all three layers.
- Now flip the hand towel back over to the front and make sure that the pin has caught the front strip. Leave the pin in place while you secure with another pin. Continue until you have the top and the bottom of the Liberty strip in place.
- Place the hand towel back on your cutting mat and trim the raw edges to about 1″ past the edge of the hand towel.
- Bring the bottom of the Liberty strip over the top of the hand towel and then turn a hem in line with the edge of the towel on the top of the strip and pin in place as shown. With your sewing machine sew around all 4 sides of the strip 1/8″ from the hemmed edge.
Thats it! Aren’t they a great little gift? And, they sure are super quick to sew! I don’t know about you guys but I know that my local department store has great after Christmas sales so I think I’ll be stocking up on a few more hand towels to have ready for a quick last minute gift!
These look so sweet sitting on the counter in my bathroom, I kinda wish I had kept a few for myself!
Have a great week,